On June 17th, Pythian hosted the June of meeting of OVSAGE. This month, there was a presentation by Bill Stuart, CEO and VP Engineering , Karoly Molnar of Eseri. Eseri is a local Ottawa company that has integrated a full organization IT solution from the best of the world’s open source, from hosted Intranet to [...]
Pythian is hosting the February meeting of the Ottawa Valley System Admistrators Guild (OVSAGE). This free event is open to all those interested in System Administration.
Thursday February 18, 2010
1200 St. Laurent Blvd.
From the Queensway, take the St. Laurent exit and proceed north. Turn into the St. Laurent Mall parking lot and continue around back. The Pythian group is located near Sports Experts and Sears. There is also a main transit station here for those who ride the bus.
We are looking at a few topics, one being the start of a practical exercise in system administration.
- LPI and Novell certifications (just a couple of minutes)
- New Web Site
- Practical Training Part 1: Installing Linux in a Virtual Environment
- Discussion on the next steps
- Ignite video (maybe)
Come on out and learn things!
Folks, we are looking to bring a Senior System Administrator on board in our Sydney office. If you are interested or know somebody who would qualify, please contact Pythian HR. Remember that we are not hiring by the years of experience but by the skills, dedication and passion.
System Administration Position like None Other
The Pythian Group is a global leader in remotely delivered enterprise database and system administration services. With over 100 customers in a wide array of industry verticals, the work is exciting, fast-paced, and challenging. If you are ready for a change from the typical day-in/day-out drudgery of being a system administrator for one company or set of servers, The Pythian Group is for you. Our system administrators work in a small team of 4-6 team members, responsible for 5-10 customer environments. This means that you will never get bored or be forced to solve the same problems on the same systems, over and over.
We are currently hiring senior system administrators for our Sydney, Australia office to service our rapidly expanding client community. You should be a quick learner and ready to hit the ground running, managing networks and servers for everything from small start-ups to huge enterprises. At The Pythian Group, you will be able to see, and do it all.
The primary roles and responsibilities of these positions include, but are not limited to:
- Installing and supporting a client organization’s computer and network systems.
- Responsible for local-area networks (LAN), wide-area networks (WAN), network segments, and Internet and intranet systems.
- Maintain network hardware and software, analyze problems, and monitor networks to ensure their availability to system users.
- Gather data to identify customer needs and then use the information to identify, interpret, and evaluate system and network requirements.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures.
In addition to primary responsibilities, which are dynamic in nature, system backup and recovery planning and validation are extremely important aspects of the system administrator responsibility. Security and system hardening and intrusion prevention are also very important.
- 5+ years of experience managing production network and server environments.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Strong communication skills in English; you will talk to customers, vendors and other team members on a regular basis.
- Very strong skills working on a wide variety of platforms, primarily Linux and Windows.
- Solid knowledge of various hardware platforms, such as networking devices, rack and blade servers, and SANs.
- The willingness to dive in and research/debug tough problems, even under extreme pressure.
- An intense desire to learn new technologies and techniques – and be the best.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- A willingness to work on evenings and weekends when necessary and participate in a regular on call rotation.
Desired Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of Solaris, AIX, or HP-UX would be considered an asset.
- Post secondary education in computer science, related fields or product certifications would be considered an asset.
Community involvement, team building, and personal growth is very important to Pythian. To that end, we encourage our DBAs and SAs to blog, present at conferences or user groups, write articles, and otherwise get involved in the technology community. You will find yourself working with and learning from top industry experts at The Pythian Group.